Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Who can you trust?

I've run into a lot of frustration with our final paper project, and not one bit of it has to do with writer's block. We trust magazines and newspapers for accurate information–but how well-documented is it really? While trying to find a primary source, I came across an awesome National Geographic article on gigantism. It was super interesting, but for the life of me I could not figure out what the primary source was. There was one link that brought me to a journal on endocrinology, but not the specific study the article was citing. Not being able to find any factual information on the topic, I was left to wonder, where does National Geographic get its information? Why isn't that outlet more accessible? I have to say, it left a rather sour taste in my mouth. Either way, the article is pretty interesting, ya'll should take a look at it. The photograph shows the difference between a normal Roman man's shinbone and the giant's shinbone (both lived during the same period). Crikey.
Being able to trust your sources is crucial, especially in the field of archaeology. People put up hoaxes and false discoveries over time. And while it's pretty safe to say that National Geographic's info can be trusted, I'd like to be sure. Magazines should proudly present their sources, not squirrel them away like embarrassing family photos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment