Friday, October 12, 2012

"Authentic Ancient Artifacts and Coins"?


So while reading Smithsonian recently, I came across an ad for "Authentic Ancient Artifacts and Coins" for sale through the Sadigh Gallery (www.sadighgallery.com). Naturally I was intrigued as to how a private company could sell these ancient artifacts.

I decided to to a little research into the company and found that all of their antiquities seem to be original and come with a Certificate of Authenticity. Of course, I was a little curious about how they're getting these wonderful treasures. Since they have a number listed on the website, I decided to call and ask, pretending to be interested in one of their products. When I asked how a Greek silver drachma coin was obtained, the man gave me a vague answer saying, "they all come with a Certificate of Authenticity and lots of historical background".

Great. That answers the question... not. Sounds to me like looting or theft, though I certainly wouldn't be able to prove anything. Ads like this for ancient antiquities are... well, I don't even know if there's a word for them. It's just really interesting that there's probably a large number of people who will purchase these artifacts (which are likely authentic, as they claim to be) don't know about their origins. Sure, they're getting a Certificate of Authenticity, but who is authenticating this? The Sadigh Gallery? Because that would definitely make it legit.

It just seems shady, the whole operation, from the ads in a magazine to the evasive phone call. My verdict is that they're probably authentic but looted.

No comments:

Post a Comment